Creating Safer, Stronger, Smarter networks with next generation LV network management equipment.
The ALVIN™ Family of Low Voltage network restoration and control products is the most technically advanced system for safe fault management and network automation.
The performance of Electricity Networks is having to evolve to meet the demands and expectations of customers and accommodate the uptake of new Low Carbon Technology's. The sophistication of network control that has been deployed on the High Voltage network now needs to be deployed on the Low Voltage network with the same capability, but due to the scale of the LV network, at a greatly reduced cost.
ALVIN™ offers the following solutions:
- Monitoring of the LV Network: The ALVIN™ system can be configured to create the requirement communication infrastructure to understand and control the LV network
- Manage stresses on the LV network due to Low Carbon Technologies:
- Distributed generation (rise in voltage)
- Increase in demand
- Assists with capacity sharing between substations
- Remote network reconfiguration: ALVIN™ can change location of open point, temporarily interconnect radial networks or disconnect interconnected networks
- Automated network reconfiguration: If communication fails ALVIN™ can be programmed to make independent intelligent decisions to restores supply safetly
- Synchronisation with HV automation regimes:
- HV automation on interconnected networks may require the interconnection is temporarily disconnected. LV Networks with ALVIN™ is able to automatically reconfigure the LV network to accommodate the changing HV network configuration.
Increased network demands and the connection of new devices on the LV network, including Low Carbon Technologies (LCT) such as Photovoltaic generators (PV), Electric Vehicles (EV) and Heat Pumps (HP), can result in different load and voltage profiles on the LV network. A combination of ALVIN™ family products can provide the appropriate solution to mitigate these effects:
- ALVIN Reclose™: For self-clearing faults, ALVIN Reclose™ will automatically perform multiple circuit recloses. For permanent faults, it behaves in the same way as existing fuse solutions. Together with ALVIN Portal it will create remotely control system
- ALVIN LinkSwitch™: Remotelly controlled Link Box actuator
- ALVIN LinkSense™: Fully automated Link Box actuator
- ALVIN Portal™: When communication to substation is required in order to receive network data or remotely control ALVIN Reclose
- ALVIN Link Controller™: Link Box Controller suppling communication to ALVIN LinkSwitch™
- SafeON™: Current limitation and public protection technology embedded in each actuating device
These products can be used in a range of combinations to provide the following capabilities:
- Monitors the network (voltage, current, fault level, harmonic distorion etc) and provides information and alarms
- Reconfigure the network to re-balance load and voltage
- Manage stresses due to network maintenance
- ALVIN™ applies current limitation when making circuit with possible fault. This protects equipment against unnecessary stresses.
- Improve availability and reliability
- Regulation requires availability and reliability to be increased while infratsructure remains the same. Automated functionalities of ALVINs™ allows power to be restored quicker. Power outages due to intermittent faults can be dealth within seconds
- Offers platform to allow algorithms to detect the presence of PV, EV and HP devices on the network
Low cost equipment
Low maintenance and lifetime cost
Improved network performance
Extended asset life: limited current flow on restart offered
Increase resource efficiency/reduce Opex cost
Reduced network imbalance offereing potential savings through network reinforcement deferrals
Defer load related network reinforcement
To find out more about the ALVIN™ Family, contact us on:
T:+44 (0)151 347 2313
Interested in other LV Network Restoration products? Why not check out our award winning CableSniffer™ which aids in pin pointing cable faults to keep your network maintenance fees to a minimum.
Understand more about the ALVIN™ Family rangeALVIN Linksense™