Smart grids overview
- Key drivers
- What is a smart grid?
Smart grid components & systems
- The basic components and structure of a smart grid – what does a smart grid look like?
- How to choose between smart and conventional
Smart grid business case
- How the driver for UK smart grids is cost
- Stakeholders in a ‘smart’ world
- How does DNO regulation support smart grids?
- Opportunities with distributed generation
- Demand side response for large and small customers
Transform® techno-economic modelling
- Overview of the Transform® Model and how it drives international investment in smart grids
- Explore the model and run your own scenarios to explore the costs and benefits of different smart grid strategies
- What does a smart grid mean for electrical safety?
- How to stay safe when working on a smart grid
- Safety during the hands-on demonstrations
Practical experience with today’s smart grid solutions
An LV smart grid
ALVIN smart grid solution:
- Automated reclosing of LV fuses and meshing of LV networks
- Smart switching to avoid re-energising faults
- How to operate smart fuses safely
- When to consider smart LV networks
Esprit / Electric Nation / Smart Charging
Discover how smart grids are enabling Electric Vehicle Charging:
- Smart charging solutions
- Demand side response from Electric Vehicles
- Business and network impacts
- Impact of smart charging on customers
Flexible DG connections
- How do smart grids allow more distributed generators to connect?
- What’s the down side of a flexible connection?
- Interactive Exercise:
- What’s possible without a Smart Grid
- What’s possible with a Smart Grid
- Equipment to measure asset temperature and allow better ratings
- When you should and shouldn’t use them
- How do they benefit a network and customers?
Programme may be subject to amendment