A comprehensive five or ten-day course offering a thorough grounding in all aspects of power systems engineering for newly qualified graduate engineers or engineers from other disciplines. The programme combines much of the learning from EA Technology’s extensive range of specialist, technical short courses to give you an in-depth introduction to all aspects of power systems engineering in networks up to 132kV.
The programme provides access to an impressive number of leading specialists and in one comprehensive course, you will learn about each stage of electrical power systems and their management. From the history and background of the UK power industry and current regulations, standards and best practice the course progresses to review a broad range of equipment such as cables, transformers, switchgear, and overhead lines, and applies an understanding of how to combine these elements in substations and networks.
The course will also cover asset management, protection and failure investigation, including the latest Condition Based Risk Management techniques being developed at EA Technology and the growing field of distributed generation and smart networks.
The course provides a strong foundation for a career in power systems engineering, and can be useful in providing an understanding of how different specialisms sit within the broader picture of power systems.
You will particularly benefit from this course if you are a recent engineering graduate with an electrical background. However, the course is equally useful for established engineers and industrial staff who have changed roles and are now undertaking engineering duties in a power systems environment.
Course listing & dates
- An essential foundation in the principles and practice of power systems engineering
- Helps inform career specialisation decisions
- Develop an understanding of the interaction between power system elements
- Learn from leading experts in each field
- Cover every aspect in one compact ten-day course
- See power engineering in action with a unique series of site visits
EA Technology have worked with leading employers supporting new staff and graduate development for many years. This course provides access to a host of subject matter experts and combines relevant learning from our extensive programme of specialist short courses.
- Introduction and History
- Transmission and Distribution in the UK
- Network Components and Planning
- Network Design
- Overhead Lines Design and Operation*
- Commercial Arrangements*
- Basic Protection including CT and VT
- Introductions to Fault Level Calculations
- Substation Earthing
- Lightning Protection
Asset Management: an Overview of Systems
*An alternative session on Motors/Variable Speed Drives is available to engineers dependent upon area of specialisation.
- Condition Assessment of HV Assets
- Condition Based Risk Maintenance
- DNO Failure Investigation*
- Renewable and Distributed Generation
- Industry Safety
- Power Quality
- Commissioning and Testing
- Course Review
* An alternative session on Energy Efficiency is available to engineers dependent upon area of specialisation.
Programme may be subject to amendment
£1,575.00 – £2,250.00+VAT
Course duration: 5/10 days
EA Technology are accredited members of the CPD certification service. This course counts towards your planned CPD requirements.